• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Purchase and medicaid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

futuredust

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AR (Arkansas)

I am interested in purchasing a house next door to my parents, the owner is now in a nursing home and has exhausted all of her funds.

The owners husband passed away about five years ago and before doing so had felt he had left enough money and resources that his wife would never have to worry about anything. Sadly she had a stroke almost two years ago and all of the money has been used up for her medical care.

Her nephew is the power of attorney since she nor her husband ever had any children. He had to put her on medicaid to care for her since she is unable to ever live alone again and will spend the rest of her life in a nursing home.

The house has sat empty all this time, only depreciating in value because it is empty and there is no one to care for the home. Myself and my parents have been taking care of the yard upkeep and making sure to keep a close eye on it to make sure no one breaks in or vandals the property.

I would like to either rent or take the house on a land contract. The nephew said that he has no idea what the state will do with the house so he cannot do anything at this point until it is clear what the options are. He is a farmer and works incredibly long hours so has no time to really research it. I offered to look into it, and at least attempt an answer even if it means I do not get the house. The owner was a long time family friend and we would like to either take on the house ourselves or assist the family in determining what their best options are.

The house sits exactly as it was when she went into the nursing home, with all of her possessions. In the next few weeks/months, when the family finds out what they can do we will be helping them move everything, regardless of if we are able to take the house over. I would like to know if the family can sell it, lease it, land contract it and what they need to do.

In my search so far I have only found that the state cannot put a pre-death lien on the house and property, but cannot find any thing on the sell or lease prior to death.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ARWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">