• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Purchased illegal lot from bank without disclosure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingRon

Unless you can show the bank had some knowledge of the unsuitability of the lot, you've got no claim against them. In most REO sales, the bank spends no time investigating the property. Almost certainly all the disclosure boxes on the state form for unimproved property were answered "DON'T KNOW."

You're expected to do your own due diligence on zoning issues.

adjusterjack

I purchased a bank-owned property (Bargain and Sale Deed) that turned out to be an illegal lot.
Exactly how is it illegal?

WA state law ... forbids their sale without disclosure.
What law (statute number) is that? Did you look it up and read it? You might find that banks are exempt when it comes to REO sales.

What are my options?
Here's some that come to mind:

1 - Apply for a variance.
2 - Sell the property (as is - with disclosure) for whatever you can get and take your lumps.
3 - Hold the property until you can buy an adjacent property and combine the lots.
4 - Hire an attorney and see if you have any legal recourse. Doubtful but probably worth a few hundred for the consult.

FlyingRon

My issue is not so much with the bank who sold the lot, but with the county and the fact that they permitted all of the improvements when they should not have. That is where the most money was spent. I would have never in a million years put in a well, septic and power on a property which couldn't utilize them.
It's not the counties fault you did the various work without fully finding out if you could build what you want on the lot. Wells, septic, and power do not imply that you're going to build a residence.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
State law prohibits counties from issuing permits for development on illegal lots. They issued me permits. I'm looking to hear from an attorney on this.
You're opening an even bigger can of worms now - if you push to get the permits rescinded, then YOU are going to be on the hook for removing the unpermitted improvements.

If you wish to hear from an attorney, you will need to hire one. You can look at www.attorneypages.com to find one.

fallow

You're opening an even bigger can of worms now - if you push to get the permits rescinded, then YOU are going to be on the hook for removing the unpermitted improvements.

If you wish to hear from an attorney, you will need to hire one. You can look at www.attorneypages.com to find one.
You're right. I'm wasting my time on a site where people with zero qualifications are spouting off about law. I will talk to an attorney.

PS- They're not going to make me remove a septic system and well. Nice try, though.

Last edited:

adjusterjack

And THIS is why we quote posts in full :rolleyes:
Point taken, Zig. I'm on other sites where posters are given 5 or 10 minutes to edit so I'm not used to this kind of thing. And I'm not new to legal websites.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">