• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IN

One of the support staff at work brought me a letter that she had received regarding her mortgage. The letter stated that the mortgage company was giving up all rights to her mortgage and that she should not send in any more payments. She owes nearly 80k on the mortgage. She was behind for a while several years ago, and attempted a modification that failed. She has not received a bill since then but has been sending in the mortgage payment faithfully anyway. She is very upside down on the house.

Does this sound like something legit? Or could it be a scam of some sort? There was no address on the letter and the phone number to call for questions is seems to be permanently busy.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IN

One of the support staff at work brought me a letter that she had received regarding her mortgage. The letter stated that the mortgage company was giving up all rights to her mortgage and that she should not send in any more payments. She owes nearly 80k on the mortgage. She was behind for a while several years ago, and attempted a modification that failed. She has not received a bill since then but has been sending in the mortgage payment faithfully anyway. She is very upside down on the house.

Does this sound like something legit? Or could it be a scam of some sort? There was no address on the letter and the phone number to call for questions is seems to be permanently busy.
She would be an idiot to quit paying the mortgage that she owes unless she wants to risk losing her home permanently.

tranquility

While I agree with Ohiogal, with some of the problems with MERS, who knows?

The only thing she can do is call or go down to the bank or mortgage servicer and ask. Bring in the letter. At the very least, she may be helping to keep someone else from getting scammed.

Info edit:
Also, google an exact sentence in the letter that would not be commonly used. When such things have come up in the past, I've found this technique useful for getting more information.

justalayman

as tranquility stated, verify the authenticity of the letter. It could be real or it could be part of some scam. Also, it may be an improperly and incomplete notice of her mortgage loan or servicing being sold to another entity. Again, contact with the lender/servicing entity would be the proper action to determine the answer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">