• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question: abandoned personal property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Andy

Hi, I'm posting this under "Real Estate Law" because I'm not sure what else it would be...

Someone who visited me often left items of personal property (CDs, tapes, books, etc.) at my residence, which I own. This person did not own, rent, or lease any part of my property at any time. There was no commitment or promise of a further relationship at any time. I asked this person to pick up these things in March. When the person refused to pick up the items unless there was a further relationship, I sent an email saying I would leave them in my carport to be picked up. They are still there after a week.

My questions about this property: Am I legally obligated to travel a long way, or to spend a lot of money on postage to return these items? If not, then by law, how long do I have to hold them before disposing of them? Is there a law determining how I should dispose of them?

Thanks!
(and yes, I'm handling the "other" issues separately!)

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andy:
Hi, I'm posting this under "Real Estate Law" because I'm not sure what else it would be...

Someone who visited me often left items of personal property (CDs, tapes, books, etc.) at my residence, which I own. This person did not own, rent, or lease any part of my property at any time. There was no commitment or promise of a further relationship at any time. I asked this person to pick up these things in March. When the person refused to pick up the items unless there was a further relationship, I sent an email saying I would leave them in my carport to be picked up. They are still there after a week.

My questions about this property: Am I legally obligated to travel a long way, or to spend a lot of money on postage to return these items? If not, then by law, how long do I have to hold them before disposing of them? Is there a law determining how I should dispose of them?

Thanks!
(and yes, I'm handling the "other" issues separately!)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have used your best efforts to notify the person to pick up their personal effects. The effects appear to be of such limited or no value that I am sure we would not see them lised for sale on ebay. Sell the stuff at a garage sale and keep the 4 bucks.

A

Andy

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HomeGuru:
You have used your best efforts to notify the person to pick up their personal effects. The effects appear to be of such limited or no value that I am sure we would not see them lised for sale on ebay. Sell the stuff at a garage sale and keep the 4 bucks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

... 4 bucks? Don't get that part, but thanks for the feedback. The heck with garage sales - when the stuff goes, it goes to charity (if they'll have it). Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">