• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about abandoned underground storage tanks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GeoffH49

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I own land and a building which was leased to an operarator of a gas station. The operator owns the underground tanks, pumps, dispensers, etc.

The operator quit paying rent and operating the station about a year ago, abandoned his property and recently told me by e-mail that he has left the United States and does not intend to return. I no longer have contact with him, since he apparently changed his e-mail address.

In order to do something with the property, I need to have legal control of the tanks, etc. What are my rights? How do I get control (and title?) to the tanks, etc? Can someone point me to the correct Ohio statute?

Thanks

BelizeBreeze

you need to go speak with a local real estate attorney. Basically, this is nothing more than a landlord/tenant issue and abandoned property. You need to give proper notice to removed the property and if it's not done have the court either grant permission for you to remove and sue the owner for costs or allow you to 'dispose' of the property by sales.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">