• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about "Petition To Sell Real Property"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MountainChica

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Hi,
I live in Pa. An ex friend's name is on my house which she put on the mortgage with my mother because I didn't qualify. She promised to add my name to the deed but has now changed her mind.

On paper, she and my Mom own the house, but my usband, children and l live in the home, paying ALL mortgage payments, utilities, home owners insurance, PMI, taxes and dues. My ex friend wants her name off the house, I want her name off. She is threatening to get a "Petition To Sell Real Property." I pay ALL obligations in full and on time. Under what circumstances would a judge grant her a petition to sell this house out from under my Mother and I?
Since the ex friend is asserting her ownership of the property in question, to the point of reserving the right to try and sell it, what recourse does my mother have to make her pay her half of the expenses for the property in question until her name is removed from the mortgage?
Thanks

rowz

Hi Chica: You have the agreement to add your name to the deed in writing, correct? :eek:

What you can do is offer to buy her portion of ownership.
How much is owed on the house & how much is it worth TODAY??
If you are lucky and it is less than it cost originally then you may be able to get it a price where you can qualify. You can qualify at this time, no?

Of course if the mortgage is too much owed then the Seller will not be happy having to take a loss and need to bring monery to the table at the closing.

Thats the fair thing to do as you had to pay rent somewhere and this is the place you were doing it on. Of course the deeded owner are within their rights to have the property delivered to them in the same condition as it was the day that you moved in.

What does Mom have to say about this? Where does she live? If you and your family are the only ones in the house does the mortgage company know that neither Mom or the ex-friend are in residence there? I believe yours is a tenancy situation and not any form of ownership.

Go see a lawyer in your area. If you cannot afford one then I am guessing that you cannot afford to buy the house either.

Good lkuck with this difficult situation.

rowz

Hi Chica: You have the agreement to add your name to the deed in writing, correct? :eek:

What you can do is offer to buy her portion of ownership.
How much is owed on the house & how much is it worth TODAY??
If you are lucky and it is less than it cost originally then you may be able to get it a price where you can qualify. You can qualify at this time, no?

Of course if the mortgage is too much owed then the Seller will not be happy having to take a loss and need to bring money to the table at the closing.

Thats the fair thing to do as you had to pay rent somewhere and this is the place you were doing it on. Of course the deeded owner are within their rights to have the property delivered to them in the same condition as it was the day that you moved in.

What does Mom have to say about this? Where does she live? If you and your family are the only ones in the house does the mortgage company know that neither Mom or the ex-friend are in residence there? I believe yours is a tenancy situation and not any form of ownership.

Go see a lawyer in your area. If you cannot afford one then I am guessing that you cannot afford to buy the house either.

Good lkuck with this difficult situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">