• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question in PA. Real Estate Law, re. Protecting Real Estate when 2 names are on deed,

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

panello

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania.

If 2 names are on deed to a property and one of those parties goes into a nursing home, then passes away about 3 years later, does the home pass free and clear to the surviving party, or does the state have any say/involvement in the settlement ?

S

seniorjudge

How were the names listed on the deed?

Husband and wife?

Tenants in common?

Joint tenancy?

Nothing is mentioned about tenancy?

panello

Re. 2 people on deed of PA. property

undefined

Hi Senior Judge,

Thanks for your response. This is re. the state of Pennsylvania.

The 2 names on the deed are Mother and Daughter. Daughter was added to deed about 8 years ago, when mothers' health started to worsen. Mother went into a nursing home 2-2.5 years ago, and both are still on deed. my question is, upon death of the mother, does home pass directly to the daughter ? With the mother's name still on deed, can the state step in and claim any rights to the property, or the proceeds if property is sold ?

Thanks, in advance, . . . on behalf of the Daughter.

HomeGuru

panello said:
undefined

Hi Senior Judge,

Thanks for your response. This is re. the state of Pennsylvania.

The 2 names on the deed are Mother and Daughter. Daughter was added to deed about 8 years ago, when mothers' health started to worsen. Mother went into a nursing home 2-2.5 years ago, and both are still on deed. my question is, upon death of the mother, does home pass directly to the daughter ? With the mother's name still on deed, can the state step in and claim any rights to the property, or the proceeds if property is sold ?

Thanks, in advance, . . . on behalf of the Daughter.

**A: we still can't answer your question until you give us the tenancy information.
How was title held between the titleholders at dod? What type of tenancy; was it joint tenancy or tenants in common?

S

seniorjudge

I am sorry, but I cannot answer that question without looking at the deed and, perhaps, doing a little examining of the title. The facts on the second post made it even more complicated than the first post.

You have asked questions that you must really find out the answers to. Hire a real estate attorney in your commonwealth. It will be worth the money.

panello

Update re. "tenancy" status of PA deed

In the state of PA, I believe that the deed contains the 2 names - mother and daughter - as tenants in common; however, I know that "believing" is not good enough, so I am having that confirmed right now. I will e-mail back ASAP. Is there anyting else that you would like to know ?

Thank you, again,
Philip

panello

PA Real Estate Law re. "Joint Tenancy"

Seniors,
As indicated in "Title", I was mistaken. The deed is recorded with the 2 names - Mother and Daughter - as "Joint Tenancy". Daughter was added onto deed in 1996, for consideration of $1. Thanks for your input - I appreciateyour time and advice.
Philip

HomeGuru

panello said:
Seniors,
As indicated in "Title", I was mistaken. The deed is recorded with the 2 names - Mother and Daughter - as "Joint Tenancy". Daughter was added onto deed in 1996, for consideration of $1. Thanks for your input - I appreciateyour time and advice.
Philip
**A: wow, your facts keep changing with each and every post. Hire a real estate attorney already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">