• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question regarding improvements to family members home.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

savajio

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

I will try to try and make this as brief and descriptive as possible here it goes. After getting married my wife did not want to leave her mother alone. She is not married and my wife does not have any living siblings. After much discussing back and forth I had agreed. Now we had no lease agreement but paid every bill there was in the house minus the mortgage. We paid her auto insurance and cell phone bill as well as all of the groceries for the house and all of the utility bills (Water, Gas, Electric, Cable etc). All of this was equal to or greater than the monthly mortgage payment. So to make life easy we paid all that and left one payment for her. This to me would be a normal tenant/landlord agreement and had she wanted to pay some utility and we put in for mortgage as a rent then I would be fine with that as well. We offered to even pay the taxes on the house but she refused as she paid from an equity account I believe.

Now, Here is where my dilemma is. Since we are family I had also made improvements to the home with my wife. Prior to marriage I put in a new stone walkway and as a wedding gift a friend of mine did all new landscaping in front of the house. Once married we painted all the rooms with fresh paint, put new shutters on the house, maintained all of the landscaping over the years with new mulch, put all new wooden blinds in almost all the rooms including a very expensive one for big bay window, bought a new stove when it broke, paid for 1/2 of a hot water heater as well as a new washer and dryer, and I had hardwood floors put in downstairs in the family room as well as nice hardwood doors and frames with new trim. I would estimate that I have invested at least 10k+ for improvements into the house while paying the listed expenses’ above.

She is not a very nice person to say the least and got into a fight with my wife going on a year and 1/2 ago and they do not speak. We have been looking for a new house, but since we invested so much here we do not have as much as we would like and have a limited price range we are looking at. Since she does not talk to us we have to go by what we hear. It seems she is looking to sell the house. I would assume whether we have a house of our own or not. Should she sell the house my end question would be can I legally ask for compensation from the sale of the house based on those improvements I have made? I also need to mention that I do have all receipts for the improvements made as well as for the monthly bills we paid on the house to show that the improvements were not just living expenses.

savajio

Unfortunately no. Given she is family and my wife never expected her to be acting the way she is.( I don't want to get to personal as I know it doesn't pertain the the issue.) Anything that was done was said verbally as ok we will pay these bills and you pay that. Given we live here we wanted to do what we felt was the right thing and make the house a home. But we know she would not agree to anything unless she legally had to since her and my wife are not on good terms. The only improvement she has made in the last 5 years is update the bathroom (Which needs to be fixed already) Everything else has been done by us.

sandyclaus

Unfortunately no. Given she is family and my wife never expected her to be acting the way she is.( I don't want to get to personal as I know it doesn't pertain the the issue.) Anything that was done was said verbally as ok we will pay these bills and you pay that. Given we live here we wanted to do what we felt was the right thing and make the house a home. But we know she would not agree to anything unless she legally had to since her and my wife are not on good terms. The only improvement she has made in the last 5 years is update the bathroom (Which needs to be fixed already) Everything else has been done by us.
No agreement for reimbursement means you won't get anything.

As you said, you did it all because she was family. You never expected to get reimbursed, and you didn't go forward with those improvements on the condition that you were to be paid back the value of those reimbursements. You don't do favors for family like this, then expect them to pay you back when things go bad.

FarmerJ

With out a agreement saying that you were going to get the money back I dont see you getting it back. NOW as to your wife and her mom not talking do you want to try getting them in same space and telling them ` knock it off and fix this problem before one of you ends up dying or having something happen that will prevent you from ever talking again` as far as you buying her grocerys and paying her car ins and cell bills , that was kind of you, but perhaps its time for her to pay her own food and car insurance & cell, even if they still will not talk to each other after you speak up. AS far as any other rights, you have the right to be given a written notice that meets your states laws for landlord and tenant where there is no written lease and that is all it would take to tell you to get out. AS far as the house what does your county say its worth for estimated market value ? maybe you want to explore buying it your selfs ?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

I will try to try and make this as brief and descriptive as possible here it goes. After getting married my wife did not want to leave her mother alone. She is not married and my wife does not have any living siblings. After much discussing back and forth I had agreed. Now we had no lease agreement but paid every bill there was in the house minus the mortgage. We paid her auto insurance and cell phone bill as well as all of the groceries for the house and all of the utility bills (Water, Gas, Electric, Cable etc). All of this was equal to or greater than the monthly mortgage payment. So to make life easy we paid all that and left one payment for her. This to me would be a normal tenant/landlord agreement and had she wanted to pay some utility and we put in for mortgage as a rent then I would be fine with that as well. We offered to even pay the taxes on the house but she refused as she paid from an equity account I believe.

Now, Here is where my dilemma is. Since we are family I had also made improvements to the home with my wife. Prior to marriage I put in a new stone walkway and as a wedding gift a friend of mine did all new landscaping in front of the house. Once married we painted all the rooms with fresh paint, put new shutters on the house, maintained all of the landscaping over the years with new mulch, put all new wooden blinds in almost all the rooms including a very expensive one for big bay window, bought a new stove when it broke, paid for 1/2 of a hot water heater as well as a new washer and dryer, and I had hardwood floors put in downstairs in the family room as well as nice hardwood doors and frames with new trim. I would estimate that I have invested at least 10k+ for improvements into the house while paying the listed expenses’ above.

She is not a very nice person to say the least and got into a fight with my wife going on a year and 1/2 ago and they do not speak. We have been looking for a new house, but since we invested so much here we do not have as much as we would like and have a limited price range we are looking at. Since she does not talk to us we have to go by what we hear. It seems she is looking to sell the house. I would assume whether we have a house of our own or not. Should she sell the house my end question would be can I legally ask for compensation from the sale of the house based on those improvements I have made? I also need to mention that I do have all receipts for the improvements made as well as for the monthly bills we paid on the house to show that the improvements were not just living expenses.
**A: yes you can legally ask for compensation and she can legally say No. You could sue for some reimbursement and see what happens.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">