• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quit Claim Deed...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lessashare

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

When married, my husband and I purchased a house back in 1996. Then the divorce came. In order for my ex (was my husband at the time) to grant me a divorce back in 2000in Pennsylvania; I was forced to sign off on his business, all of his assets and sign a quit claim deed for our house or he wouldn't divorce me. Yes, it was stupid but given the situation, it was my only way out.

The house was in my name first because my ex-husband had severe credit problems. The house pmt was approx $400 a month.

Everything was good for the first several years, he made the pmts on time. Now I see its affecting my credit as the pmts are now $834 and he is continuously 60 days late. The problem I have is this. I understand I forfeited my rights to the property... but when the terms of the "original" loan changed, and he gets a 2nd mortgage or whatever he did to make the pmts increase... Wouldn't he have had to have my signature? Am I still responsible? Is there anything I can do as this is now affecting my credit?

Thank you in advance.

justalayman

but when the terms of the "original" loan changed
How did the terms of the original loan change?

he can get whatever mortgage loans against the house he wants and can find a lender to loan. You did a bad thing by signing off of the title and not requiring the ex to refi the house to remove you from the mortgage. Now you are stuck with it.

You can sue him for anything you end up paying on the mortgage loan.

lessashare

How did the terms of the original loan change?
The original payments were $400... now they are $823. "SO, the terms have changed.

I can't imagine that he can borrow money on that account without my signature.
You're saying you don't think I have any recourse?

Thanks for your reply.

Last edited:

justalayman

I have no idea as to why the payments are higher. If you had a fixed rate loan then I would be asking the lender how the payments have increased. Since your name is on the loan, you have every right to know everything about the loan.

I can't imagine that he can borrow money on that account without my signature.
you are right. He cannot increase the loan you are on without your authorization. I was speaking to a HELOC or 2nd mortgage. He can sign up for those without your input.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">