• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quit claim deed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elena70

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
Just found out my ex husband had someone forged my signature before a notary public on a quit claim deed, in order to have sole ownership of the house we own together, so he could sell it, which he did. This happened in 2002, i know is a long time but we had a lot of other issues going on, immigration problems, domestic violence, etc. my question is could he still be suited ?? or there is a statute of limitations on forgery in CA?? i appreciate your help. thanks.

Some Random Guy

Contact a lawyer and sue him for half of the value of the home. If this is indeed the first that you knew about the house being sold then your lawyer can argue that the sale of the house was concealed from you and therefore the statute of limitations for filiing a suit in CA does not apply.

If you are interested in having him prosecuted, contact the local police department. They will determine if there is evidence to prosecute and whether the statute of limitations applies criminally.

elena70

quit claim deed

will i need the original of the quit claim deed in order to prove that wasn't my signature on it?? and if that is the case, who or where is the original papers kept after a house sale is made?? i only have the copy from the Clerk's office. thanks

nextwife

will i need the original of the quit claim deed in order to prove that wasn't my signature on it?? and if that is the case, who or where is the original papers kept after a house sale is made?? i only have the copy from the Clerk's office. thanks
A certified copy from the RODs office should be fine to use.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
Just found out my ex husband had someone forged my signature before a notary public on a quit claim deed, in order to have sole ownership of the house we own together, so he could sell it, which he did. This happened in 2002, i know is a long time but we had a lot of other issues going on, immigration problems, domestic violence, etc. my question is could he still be suited ?? or there is a statute of limitations on forgery in CA?? i appreciate your help. thanks.
**A: yes he could still be suited. Does he look good in suits?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">