• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quit Claim Deed for CA Divorce?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PTNX

Hello,

I divorced about 2-years ago in Southern California. My ex-wife and I are both on the Title Deed to the house. However, the mortgage is in her name. I've been living in the house post divorce and she has agreed to give me the house outright without any remuneration. This is all documented in our divorce agreement. With the housing prices down, she now wants to buy her own house and wants our previous house off of her credit.

Can you please guide me in the right direction? How can I remove her from the Title Deed and then put the mortgage in my name only?

Thank you.

seniorjudge

Double Post Warning

Hello,

I divorced about 2-years ago in Southern California. My ex-wife and I are both on the Title Deed to the house. However, the mortgage is in her name. I've been living in the house post divorce and she has agreed to give me the house outright without any remuneration. This is all documented in our divorce agreement. With the housing prices down, she now wants to buy her own house and wants our previous house off of her credit.

Can you please guide me in the right direction? How can I remove her from the Title Deed and then put the mortgage in my name only?

Thank you.
https://forum.freeadvice.com/other-real-estate-law-questions-11/quit-claim-divorce-367173.html

PTNX

Ok... that post was a long time ago. I didn't even remember that. I held off on it as long as I could, but now I need to take care of business... Quoting from your original response...

"How do I transfer full ownership to me and remove her from title (QuitClaim?)
A: She will have to sign a deed to you; you will have to refinance the loan."

The deed you are referring to is the QuitClaim Deed? Correct?

Then I file this Deed at the Courthouse... Once the ownership has transferred to my name only... I refi the house? Correct?

Thanks again.

seniorjudge

You need to handle this through a title company and/or lawyer.

First, get approved for loan.

Then handle all the getting her off the title and the loan closing at the same time.

This is not a do-it-yourself deal.

HomeGuru

You need to handle this through a title company and/or lawyer.

First, get approved for loan.

Then handle all the getting her off the title and the loan closing at the same time.

This is not a do-it-yourself deal.
**A: but it could very well be a do-it-to-yourself deal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">