• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

quit claim deed/title - wheres my new title?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

redrobin1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alaska

My Dad recently did a quit claim to transfer some property to me. The bourough says it has been recorded and we've received no paperwork other than a copy of the quit claim form he filled out. Am I supposed to get a new title? Or is the quit claim form my title from now on?

FlyingRon

Real estate isn't titled like a car. The state doesn't issue "titles." The chain of title is all the deeds over history. Your copy of the deed is all you get. If you want to be sure, get a title search backed up with owner's title insurance. I'd not take property from my sainted aunt without title insurance and certainly would have it before I start any money or other serious effort into improving the property.

FlyingRon

You should have received the original deed
I suspect that's what he has. When you record a deed in most places in NJ they take the original, spend a few days making a copy of it, and then return it. Some jurisdictions are getting a little snazzier and will do it while you wait or even allow e-filing.

redrobin1

I suspect that's what he has. When you record a deed in most places in NJ they take the original, spend a few days making a copy of it, and then return it. Some jurisdictions are getting a little snazzier and will do it while you wait or even allow e-filing.
I found it online. Dad probably has it also, I'll check. Thanks for the advice.

FlyingRon

I found it online. Dad probably has it also, I'll check. Thanks for the advice.
In addition a true copy (one with an embossed seal) from the borough is probably as good as any. I've never been required to show deeds to someone once they've been properly recorded.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">