• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

railroad right of way on private property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

trumpster

My home is adjacent to norfolk southern railway's main track in Easley, South Carolina. I recently purchased the vacant lot next to my own property. It is a small, grass covered lot. Railway workers ocassionally drive their trucks randomly accross the grass, to get to the tracks for maintenence work. There is no written agreement that I know of that gives them the right of way over my property. I plan to plant trees and do some landscaping to beautyfy the property. Can I stop them from using my lot or possibly lease a right of way?
Thanks.:confused:

HomeGuru

Yes. They may raise a prescriptive easement claim so be prepared. I suggest communicating with the rail company first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">