• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

RAISING RENT

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

REDWON

WHEN WE MOVED OUR MOBILE HOME INTO THIS TRAILER PARK WE HAD 4 PEOPLE LIVING WITH US, THAT WAS 9 YEARS AGO. MY YOUNGEST DAUGHTER MOVED OUT 2 YEARS AGO AND GOT MARRIED. MY OLDEST DAUGHTER STILL LIVES WITH US ALONG WITH HER 21/2 YEAR SON AND HER FIANCE. NOW OUT LANDLORD HAS RAISED OUT RENT BECAUSE WE HAVE 2 FAMILIES LIVING WITH US WHICH IS CAUSING THEM MORE WORK TO DO. THE PROBLEM IS THEY DON'T DO ANYTHING FOR US EXCEPT PICK UP A TRASHBAG ONCE OR TWICE A WEEK (WE LIVE IN THE COUNTRY HERE IN TEXAS). WE WOULD ALWAYS GO DUMP OUR OWN TRASH. THEY ARE ALSO SAYING WE TAKE TO MANY BATHS AND WASHING TO MANY CLOTHES WHEN CAUSED THE SEPTIC LINE TO BREAK. WE HAVE ALWAYS TAKEN BATHS AND WASHED CLOTHES, AND A 2 YEAR OLD DOES NOT USE THAT MUCH WATER. THEY WON'T EVEN FIX OUT SEPTIC LINE, THEY JUST WANT TO PUT DIRT OVER THE WET AREA. CAN YOU OR SOMEONE TELL ME IF THEY CAN RAISE OUR RENT BY $75.00 JUST BECAUSE THE SEPTIC LINE BROKE? I DON'T THINK THIS IS FAIR AND RENTERS SHOULD HAVE SOME RIGHTS. WE DON'T AND NEVER HAD HAD A LEASE. THANKS.

L

loudrich

RED:

You are dealing with a southern dumb ass redneck who nees the money for drugs and drinking, so pay the rent increase or move.

I've lived in the south, these low lifes refuse to put any money into repairs and expect the tenant to pay for anything that breaks wether its your fault or not...its money out of their pockects that would be going to their party lifestyle.

---------------------------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by REDWON:
WHEN WE MOVED OUR MOBILE HOME INTO THIS TRAILER PARK WE HAD 4 PEOPLE LIVING WITH US, THAT WAS 9 YEARS AGO. MY YOUNGEST DAUGHTER MOVED OUT 2 YEARS AGO AND GOT MARRIED. MY OLDEST DAUGHTER STILL LIVES WITH US ALONG WITH HER 21/2 YEAR SON AND HER FIANCE. NOW OUT LANDLORD HAS RAISED OUT RENT BECAUSE WE HAVE 2 FAMILIES LIVING WITH US WHICH IS CAUSING THEM MORE WORK TO DO. THE PROBLEM IS THEY DON'T DO ANYTHING FOR US EXCEPT PICK UP A TRASHBAG ONCE OR TWICE A WEEK (WE LIVE IN THE COUNTRY HERE IN TEXAS). WE WOULD ALWAYS GO DUMP OUR OWN TRASH. THEY ARE ALSO SAYING WE TAKE TO MANY BATHS AND WASHING TO MANY CLOTHES WHEN CAUSED THE SEPTIC LINE TO BREAK. WE HAVE ALWAYS TAKEN BATHS AND WASHED CLOTHES, AND A 2 YEAR OLD DOES NOT USE THAT MUCH WATER. THEY WON'T EVEN FIX OUT SEPTIC LINE, THEY JUST WANT TO PUT DIRT OVER THE WET AREA. CAN YOU OR SOMEONE TELL ME IF THEY CAN RAISE OUR RENT BY $75.00 JUST BECAUSE THE SEPTIC LINE BROKE? I DON'T THINK THIS IS FAIR AND RENTERS SHOULD HAVE SOME RIGHTS. WE DON'T AND NEVER HAD HAD A LEASE. THANKS.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

T

Tracey

Which occurred first, L raised the rent or you asked L to repair the septic system? If you complained first, then L cannot raise your rent or reduce your services for 6 months after the complaint. [92.331] If L has retaliated against you, you are entitled to 1 month's rent + $500, + attorney fees + costs, & injunctive relief. [92.333] It's not retaliation if L can prove he increased everyone's rent by $75. [92.332]

Regardless of the retaliation issue, L has a duty to repair any condition that is hazardous to the health or safety of an ordinary tenant. [92.052] Send L a letter (certified, return receipt) informing L that the septic line is broken & asking L to fix it properly. Call the local health inspector to look at the system. If L does not replace the line after a reasonable time (2 weeks), send notice again. [92.056]

If L still doesn't fix the line, you may pay someone to repair ot & deduct the cost from your rent. [92.056] You can also terminate your lease. You have to be current on your rent when you send both notices. You can go to court & get an order directing L to fix the field, a reduction in your rent, & a penalty of 1 month's rent + $500.

Good luck

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">