• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

real estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

ecough2000

What is the name of your state? CT

I purchased this property 5 years ago. I recently checked property lines because renters next door ran over our basketball hoop. The tennants will pay for the damage to the hoop. What I noted, and what concerns me is that the renters are using about 12 feet of my property to park their cars.

Concerns:

1) Am I liable for damages that could occur to the renter's cars that are parked on my property? Also, am I liable for injuries that occur to the renters should they have an injury on my property?

2) Previous renters directed water runoff toward three trees that are on my property, and undermined them. do I have a case to get the landlord to remove those trees now that they are undermined (damaged).

3) Should I contact my insurance agent to determine the cost of protecting my interests if an injury or property damage claim is made by the renters?

4) Should I contact the landlord and negotiate a parking lease (cost) with her to compensate me for taking on liability, and allowing the use of my land for parking?

Thanks in advance for any help.

FarmerJ

Have you called your police dept to ask if they are able to do anything about some one who has parked on your property with out consent ? your better off with out the hassle of worrying about any one else becoming hurt from using your property so make them stop using it . About the water drainage . does your city have any rules barring people from doing any drainage corrections that force water into a neighbors yard ? ( call your city hall to ask them zoning may have that information ) Is there a chance those trees may recover if drainage is corrected ? you may end up having to consult with a local attorney to get the best information , or evaluation of your problem . ( Perhaps your going to have to fence the area to block the unauthorized use of your land )

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">