• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Real Estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Amuzkluvr

I reside in California and have been married for 8 years. Seven years ago I purchased a Condo using only my own credit and funds. At that time my husband signed a quitclaim deed and the title to the property was recorded in my name alone as my separate property. I am now in the process of getting my property refinanced. The Loan company and Title company are both companies located out of the state of California so I am not sure if they are completely informed on California law. My question is, since a quitclaim deed was signed at the time that I originally purchased my property is it necessary to have my husband sign anything again this time during the refinance such as a quitclaim deed or any other release of interest in the property? I wish to know this in order to retain my current status as the sole owner of the condo as my separate property.
Thank you.

HomeGuru

It would be up to the mortgage and title company to accept the document which your husband signed.
Usually these companies have legal counsel that advises them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">