• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

real estate - after close default in contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jodie888

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? California

I recently bought a house that closed 8 days ago. In our contract, the deal was contingent on removing an incorrect circuit from the electrical panel for kitchen (30 amp to 20 amp) to bring it up to code. The kitchen was remodeled by the seller 8 years ago. According to the real estate agent the seller had a permit for work done. The circuit was replaced by the seller. After moving in I discovered that the refrigerator kept shutting off. I discovered that the circuit replaced (30 amp to 20 amp) could not carry the load required. The owner, during the remodel, put in a 30 amp circuit to run the dishwasher, microwave and refrigerator. This is not to code today and most probably not 8 years ago. The reason we had the owner make the change from the 30 amp circuit to the 20 amp was due to home inspectors findings. He indicated that this was unsafe and against code regulations. We moved in after the amp was replaced and now we have discovered that our appliances are not working correctly because of this circuit that cannot carry the load. We called in an electrician to find out what was causing the problem and to try and fix it. The electrician stated that the work that was done in the kitchen was not up to code and that when the remodel was done, it would have never been passed. He reccommends installing 3 new circuits for applicances in the kitchen. I feel that the previous owner is responsible for this mess. Do I have any legal recourse in this matter? Also, I have found out that the owner never got a permit for the work that was done.

P

pjhn

The adage follows--If you want something done right, do it yourself. I had to hire an electrician to fix an amateur remodel job. Some of my sockets were not grounded for triples and one was reverse polarity. I just lowered my price to budget for the work that needed to be done. I feared the do it yourselfer would just muck it up more--again.

You do have legal recourse. I mean, it is in the contract and it is implied that the work is to be done correctly. I don't know if it also implies that it must be done by a professional, or if that is something that should included in the clause. Your best bet if you have not done so already is to talk to the guy. Calm and professionally. Tell him it needs to be done right, as it is a sfety hazard. Offer to get a few estimates. Try and solve it the easy way, as lawyers and courts cost money.

HomeGuru

jodie888 said:
What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? California

I recently bought a house that closed 8 days ago. In our contract, the deal was contingent on removing an incorrect circuit from the electrical panel for kitchen (30 amp to 20 amp) to bring it up to code. The kitchen was remodeled by the seller 8 years ago. According to the real estate agent the seller had a permit for work done. The circuit was replaced by the seller. After moving in I discovered that the refrigerator kept shutting off. I discovered that the circuit replaced (30 amp to 20 amp) could not carry the load required. The owner, during the remodel, put in a 30 amp circuit to run the dishwasher, microwave and refrigerator. This is not to code today and most probably not 8 years ago. The reason we had the owner make the change from the 30 amp circuit to the 20 amp was due to home inspectors findings. He indicated that this was unsafe and against code regulations. We moved in after the amp was replaced and now we have discovered that our appliances are not working correctly because of this circuit that cannot carry the load. We called in an electrician to find out what was causing the problem and to try and fix it. The electrician stated that the work that was done in the kitchen was not up to code and that when the remodel was done, it would have never been passed. He reccommends installing 3 new circuits for applicances in the kitchen. I feel that the previous owner is responsible for this mess. Do I have any legal recourse in this matter? Also, I have found out that the owner never got a permit for the work that was done.
**A: the electrician is correct as each kitchen appliance should be on its own dedicated 20 amp circuit. Lights and plugs should not be on the same appliance circuit.
The Seller is guilty for non-discloure, not getting a permit and for the electrical code violations.
Possibly even using a non-licensed electrician.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">