• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

real estate closing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lezlie Long

What are the rules of closing on a home in SC? My Mother backed out of a deal just before closing due to unforseen health issues. The seller is now suing her for A LOT of money. Can my Mother be sued for more than the "Good faith" money she already lost?

HomeGuru

Lezlie Long said:
What are the rules of closing on a home in SC? My Mother backed out of a deal just before closing due to unforseen health issues. The seller is now suing her for A LOT of money. Can my Mother be sued for more than the "Good faith" money she already lost?
My response: closing is dictated by the contract documents. Have mother hire an attorney to review said documents to see if there are any conditions that allow her to cancel. If not, the Seller may be able to sue for damages over and above the earnest money deposit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">