• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Real estate interest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

4weasel

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey
My Mother and I helped my brother buy a house (VA loan) 21 yrs ago. We proved well
over two-thirds of funding (down pymnt and settlement fees.) He was suppose to add our
names to the deed. Every time we asked when he would file a new deed...he claimed he
couldn't. In 2001 he got married. In 2004 my Mother and I discovered that he took out
a 2nd mtge on our house and paid off the house he shared with his wife in Delaware.
We have been paying the mtge on this house since day one. We have continuously
lived here since 1987. My brother has lived here off and on four years. He added his
wife's name to the deed. She has never invested any monies in this house. In April 2008
they sent us a letter stating that when the house goes up for sale..my mother and I will
receive 2/3 of the proceeds . Capital gains tax and all other fees wil be paid out of oot
of our proceeds. My question...What recourse do we have in order to secure our interest
in our home? We put more money and sweat than he ever did!!!

rowz

Get a lawyer to review all the loan and ownership documents and help you untangle this mess.

Yeah, yeah, you likely can't afford one but lets face it, you cannot afford to not have one.

Sweat, yes, but hat is really going to be of value is what the controlling documents state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">