• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Real Estate Law -

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pfledvj

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I recently sold my house and through the process had someone back out of their contract. They backed out less then a week before closing. The reason that they had was because on the Listing Sheet from our Realtor the Garage was 2 feet off. They went to the house 5 times before they signed the contract and it was after that when they found out that the measurements were off. (I guess there were some other measurement off also but I am not sure). Anyway, we incured about $2000 worth of extra costs because we had to start all over with the house selling. We were lucky that someone came along right away. Now, with Lawyer fees we have incured almost $2500 worth of damages. We went to court today for the first time and they said they would give us $1200, but that is nothing compared to what we have had to pay out. The reason they feel they do not have to pay us is because of the Listing Sheet.

I guess my question is, is the realtor responsible for this?? At the bottom of the listing sheet it said these numbers may not be accurate. To me, this is saying the realtor covered herself.

They continue to say they felt cheated and that they are first time home buyers and didn't know what to do and their realtor was not good. etc.

I don't see how any of this is our fault, however, we are being forced to suffer and pay the costs. :eek:

Our actual court date is not set until October so I just wanted to make sure we are doing the right thing. We told them we would take the $1200 plus legal fees but they won't budge from the $1200 because they don't see why they should have to. They feel the realtor should pay.

I do not feel like this is right.

THANKS for the assistance

Vanessa :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">