• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

real estate law???? ???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

forme43

can someone help me please? my mother left me and my 4 brothers her house when she passed away. i have paid all the taxes on the house for the past 17 years. my brothers haven't paid one cent! if i sell the house do i have to still split up the money with them? is there a law that gives me full ownership since i have paid taxes on the house for the past 17 years? thanks!

T

Tracey

All of you have to split the proceeds. You should be credited for the taxes & insurance you paid & the repairs you made, but that might be offset by the rent you didn't have to pay while living there. The 5 of you should agree to have an arbitrator determine the settlement formulae *before* you sell. Also have them give you power of attorney to sell the place as part of the arbitration settlement. If they don't want to sell or won't agree to the division, you'll have to sue in court to force a partition by sale. You'll need a real estate attorney for this.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected] - please include some facts so I know who you are!

[This message has been edited by Tracey (edited October 10, 2000).]

F

forme43

THE HOUSE HASN'T BEEN LIVED IN BY ANY OF US, SO IF THEY GIVE ME A POWER OF ATTORNEY TO SELL THE HOUSE, THEN WE DIVIDE THE MONEY LESS THE TAXES AND INSURANCE ON THE HOUSE THAT I HAVE PAID?
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tracey:
All of you have to split the proceeds. You should be credited for the taxes & insurance you paid & the repairs you made, but that might be offset by the rent you didn't have to pay while living there. The 5 of you should agree to have an arbitrator determine the settlement formulae *before* you sell. Also have them give you power of attorney to sell the place as part of the arbitration settlement. If they don't want to sell or won't agree to the division, you'll have to sue in court to force a partition by sale. You'll need a real estate attorney for this.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">