• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Real Estate Law re: Parent dies intestate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Regina413

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

My father passed away and had half ownership in a house with his current wife and my sister and brother.

My father's wife is going to sell the house this year.

Since my father did not leave a will, and he had half ownership in the house upon his death. Am I entitled to get some money from the sale of the house? I was an adult when he passed away.

and if so, what do I do to make sure that it happens?

justalayman

OP - Why did you not answer this and the other questions when you posted this originally in May?
apparently s/he is still thinking about the answer.

what a waste. You started this same thread months ago. You were asked to provide more info then but rather than answering so those here could help, you ignore them and start another thread where (surprise surprise) you are asked the exact same question to answer.

bye.

nextwife

OP doesn't seem to get that our answer will ALWAYS be the same. The answer to what happens to a deceased parties real estate cannot be provided without knowing how title was held.

Last edited:

nextwife

Based on what OP has written, I'd say 'No'. But that's just my gut feeling on this. :rolleyes:
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

My father passed away and had half ownership in a house with his current wife and my sister and brother.

My father's wife is going to sell the house this year.
Depends. If they hold title between them as Tenants in Common, then the OP may be entitled to a share. If Jt Tenancy, different story.

And RE held as Husband and Wife with no other wording, in most states, carries a presumption of Jt Tenancy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">