• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

real estate nondisclosure on sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vj

WE bought a house in Iowa. After the first storm (1week after we moved in) the garge flooded shin deep and there was water pouring in my house through a closed window. There was no mention before closing of any of these problems. What can we do the repairs will be very expensive. Not to mention the items that were still being stored in the garage which were ruined. Thanks for any help you can give me.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vj:
WE bought a house in Iowa. After the first storm (1week after we moved in) the garge flooded shin deep and there was water pouring in my house through a closed window. There was no mention before closing of any of these problems. What can we do the repairs will be very expensive. Not to mention the items that were still being stored in the garage which were ruined. Thanks for any help you can give me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did a real estate agent or attorney represent you? Was there a property condition disclosure statement given to you? If so, was there any reference to the problem you have experienced? What was the cause of the garage flood and house damage? Is the propery located in a flood zone, are there any drainage problems etc.?

V

vj

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HomeGuru:
Did a real estate agent or attorney represent you? Was there a property condition disclosure statement given to you? If so, was there any reference to the problem you have experienced? What was the cause of the garage flood and house damage? Is the propery located in a flood zone, are there any drainage problems etc.? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> A real estate agent represented us. we received a property condition disclosure but none of this was mentioned in it. Our house is not in a flood zone. The leaking and damage was in part caused by a poor gutter system (there was a new roof that was put on before we purchased the house. After we closed the sellers came over to say that there had been a problem w/ water leaking into the dining room but they had the roofers return to fix the problem. the problem with the flooding in the garage is partly due to the gutter system and partly due to the way the driveway is situate(water flows out of the gutter and towards the garage) This has been a problem before because due to the moisture there are mushrooms growing in the flooded area of my garage.

T

Tracey

Consult a real estate attorney who has handled non-disclosure suits before. You'll need to write the sellers a demand letter that they pay for the damage & pay for any renovations necessary to prevent this from happening again.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">