• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Real Property Ownership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

EaglesFly

Is title to a piece of property considered a deed or a surveyed plat? Deed shows an 8 foot strip of land to one owner and the plat shows it belongs to another owner.

Is there a time frame to go for quiet title?

Should the owner that pays taxes and holds the deed write a letter once a year to the other owner to claim ownership, if so, what type of form should be used?

HomeGuru

EaglesFly said:
Is title to a piece of property considered a deed or a surveyed plat?

**A: a deed establishes title. A surveyed plat is not a deed although in most cases the information from the survey and title report is used as legal description for the deed as Exhibit A.
Deed shows an 8 foot strip of land to one owner and the plat shows it belongs to another owner.

**A: then the recorded deed takes precedence unless there was an error in the survey and legal description.

Is there a time frame to go for quiet title?

**A: no, unless the quiet title action is an adverse possession claim.
Should the owner that pays taxes and holds the deed write a letter once a year to the other owner to claim ownership, if so, what type of form should be used?

**A: No, there are other ways to invoke ownership rights. An attorney needs to review your documentation to determine exactly what portion of the property you really own.

Last edited:
E

EaglesFly

Lawyers

I was told there was a three year period to go for quiet title by a lawyer and was advised it would be in my best interest to just wait the three years out and wait until either properties were sold--then it would have to be settled. (Real Estate Lawyer)

I was told since I own the deed to the property, it is still mine, even though the plat shows different information. Even knowing the plat was recorded a month after the deed--it is a long story with it. (Real Estate Lawyer)

I was also told by a lawyer that the case is not on the books and therefore it would be rather expense. (Real Estate Lawyer)

I was told by a real estate agent that I should make sure that I write the other party a letter once a year to show legal claim to the piece of property to avoid adverse possession.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">