• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Realestate agent using a photo of my home to sell vacant land

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

clenge

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

I recently found three listings of land for sale in my subdivision. The listings had a photo of my home. Is there any kind of rule or law governing the use of a photo from another person's home to sell vacant land? Would this be misrepresentation?

Thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

quincy

It would only be misrepresentation if the ad that pictured your house said your house was for sale and not that land in your subdivision was for sale.

Builders/land developers will often picture in their ads homes they have built, showing a prospective buyer what can be done by this builder to improve the vacant land.

There is no privacy right that attaches to the exterior of your home. What can be seen by the public from a public vantage point can (generally) be legally photographed and published.

seniorjudge

Bottom line: Call the real estate agent and ask them to stop using the photo OR show you a contract where you signed allowing them to use it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It would only be misrepresentation if the ad that pictured your house said your house was for sale and not that land in your subdivision was for sale.
And, just to be clear, even it the pic WERE be using for this purpose, our OP still wouldn't have a case against the listing folks...

Why is this situation not an invasion of privacy, specifically commercial appropriation? I'm guessing a home cannot be considered one's likeness?

quincy

Uh, while seniorjudge's advice may scare the property seller into removing the photo of your home, unless the property seller had to trespass onto your land to photograph your house, he has the legal right to use the photo of your house in his ad - as long as he does not say that it is your house that is for sale.

Subdivision developers will often have 3 or 4 styles of homes that they build (model homes) and these homes will be pictured in their ads (even after the models have been sold), to give to buyers of the remaining subdivided plots an idea of what kind of home can be built on the property.

Nothing illegal about it.

To Almost a Lawyer: Exactly. A home cannot be considered one's likeness, so it is not a misappropriation. There is (generally) no legal action available when a photo is taken and published of an inanimate object (if someone is pictured in the photo - or if Lassie is pictured in the photo - then there could be), if the photo pictures something that can be seen by the public from a public vantage point (street, sidewalk). As with all areas of the law, however, there are exceptions - some buildings or artwork on or in front of buildings can have copyright or trademark protection, for instance, so even if photographed from a public vantage point, there can be limits on the uses of the photos that are taken. And there are other exceptions. But, in this case, the photograph of the exterior of the house can be used to advertise vacant land in the subdivision, as long as the photographer who took the photo has agreed to have his photo of the house used.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why is this situation not an invasion of privacy, specifically commercial appropriation? I'm guessing a home cannot be considered one's likeness?
The prettiest house I've seen would make an ugly likeness of a person.

The prettiest house I've seen would make an ugly likeness of a person.
I was thinking something more along the lines of a unique home being attributed to an individual, and that home being photographed and used in an advertisement for commercial purposes.

Last edited:

quincy

Good plan then, Judge. :D

AlmostALawyer, it is certainly possible that an architect and his unique architectural designs could be offered some protection from having his designs used in a commercial manner - but this would not be a privacy issue as much as a trademark or copyright issue.

There have been cases where photos have been taken of sculptures and buildings (viewable to the public) and the photos then later used in a commmercial manner (The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, I believe, brought such an action over photos that were taken of the building and made into postcards or something - The Hall of Fame lost, if I remember correctly**). But these were not privacy actions and they would be the exceptions to even copyright and trademark laws.

And none of the laws (privacy, copyright or trademark) appear to apply to the situation described here.

**The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame case - Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum v Gentile Prods, 134 F.3d 749 (6th Circ Ohio 1998) - was brought by The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame against photographer/artist Charles Gentile, who had created $20 posters from his photograph of the I.M. Pei-designed Hall of Fame building. Gentile was sued for trademark infringement and unfair trade competition, and a U.S. District Court found for the Museum and enjoined the sale of the posters. Gentile appealed and the Appeals Court reversed the lower court's finding.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">