• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recourse against seller

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

flo220675

Seller's liability

:confused: What is the name of your state? Maryland

We bought our 1st house last September (8 months ago) with a VA loan, we had an inspection and everything went well.

We have been having rusty water since we moved in but just thought that the water softener had not been used in a while and that it would settle. Finally, after 8 months, we bought a washer and all our clothes turned yellow so I went on the internet to find out about water softeners and how they work (pardon my ignorance but this is our first house and I don't know much about anything in it). All that the sellers told us was to add salt every month which we did but it seemed that the level never went down.

After getting the information, I emptied the softener from the salt to check if there was a salt bridge, it appears that all the salt is clogged at the bottom and I can't remove it, appearently, the water has never been softened at all since we've moved in, and the softener needs service.

Would the seller be liable for this?

It also appears that water drainage is not appropriate and every time there's heavy rain, we have water almost entering the crawl-down space because one side of the house is lower to the ground. After some more research on that, I think that our house might be sinking because of that problem and some cracks under our bedroom window and the kitchen window which were not visible when we purchased the house.

And there are some other problems. When we saw the house the stairs to the attic were not finished so we could not see it, I asked the real estate agent if the attic was floored, he said yes but when the house inspection came back, I noticed it wasn't floored.... and so on.

I just would like to know who is liable for all this.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">