• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Refinance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

inkibus

Details:
i recently refinanced my house. when i went to closing they gave me a check for $2500.00. a week later the title company called me up and said they made a mistake and i owe $3500.00. well they put a stop payment on the check i bounce 5 checks and they ended up giving the $2500.00 to the mortgage company and also taking $1000.00 out of their pocket. The bank i refinanced with says to sue the title company for the $2500 and the bounced checks. What should i do?

JETX

In review, my question wasn't really clear.

- You were told that "they" owed you $2500.00 and they gave you a check.
- Later you were told that you owed THEM $3500.00 (did this include the $2500 you were given?).

Questions:
1) Did you owe them any money??
2) If so, how much??
3) Why was any money owed to another??

Last edited:
I

inkibus

heres the story!

i went to closing and received a check for $2500.00. A week later the title company called me and said they made a mistake on the final payoff to the mortgage company. I actually owed them $3500.00. So what the title company did was put a stop payment on the $2500.00 and they gave the $2500.00 to the mortgage company and $1000.00 out of their pocket to the mortgage company. At the same time I ended up paying for the stop check and paying for bounced checks.

1. I did owed $3500.00 when I went to closing.
2. They didnt realize they made a mistake until a week later.
3. At closing I informed them they made a mistake(I told them 4 times they made a mistake) and they responded back by saying if they made a mistake then they are out $2500.00

JETX

Since you knew going into the closing that YOU owed about $3500, and you knew that their giving you $2500 was an error, why did you start spending the $2500???

You should have just put it in the bank and left it alone for a while.... until this at least straightened out. Then you wouldn't have been out anything.

Finally, you complain that you got 'stuck' with paying for the stop pay and some bounced check fees. Offset those costs with the $1000.00 you didn't have to pay.... all in all, you came out ahead!!!

Look at the big picture... you made almost a $1,000.00 in the closing, and get on with life.

I

inkibus

ok when i went into closing i did not know that i owed any money. Second I thought I was asking for the legal concept not an opinion and third but not least read on ******* since you make your own words as you read along. Have a great day!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">