• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Refinance with non-recourse loan in CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

davebaca

What is the name of your state? California
When I bought my house 4/2002, an accountant warned me about later refinancing with a recourse loan. He indicated that my first loan would be a non-recourse loan. Is it possible to refinance with a non-recourse loan? It seems like it would be preferable to have a non-recourse loan, vs. a recourse loan.

HomeGuru

davebaca said:
What is the name of your state? California
When I bought my house 4/2002, an accountant warned me about later refinancing with a recourse loan. He indicated that my first loan would be a non-recourse loan. Is it possible to refinance with a non-recourse loan? It seems like it would be preferable to have a non-recourse loan, vs. a recourse loan.

**A: and when you asked this accountant the same question, what exactly did he tell you?

Last edited:
D

davebaca

At the time I didn't fully understand what he was talking about so I didn't ask the question. It seems to me that a non-recourse loan is far preferable to a recourse loan. My question is whether there is some law (CA or otherwise) that forces refinanced loans to only be offered as recourse loans or if it depends whether you take cash out, etc.

D

davebaca

I spoke with my mortgage broker and he indicated that I would only be able to get a recourse loan for a refinance, or vice-a-versa, one is only able to get a non-recourse loan on their first loan on residential real estate. He indicated that it didn't really make a difference in residential real estate--it really only applies in commercial real estate. He said that he didn't know of any lender that had ever gone after a residential lendee after they had lost their property.

V

valvee2003

I guess you run your front end loader business from California, huh big guy?

It's a shame you are too busy moving trash around with your front end loader and are unable to read /comprehend an FDIC regulation.

I'm a lending compliance officer for a national bank. Too bad you posted your evil little reply to my serious question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">