• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

refunding flood insurance preiums

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LindaM

I am a Calif resident who no longer lives in a flood zone - (amazing how that changes) - I notifed (last year) my mtg com (new jersey) by phone, that per FEMA the mandatory insurance was no longer necessary eff 6/98. I am awaiting a decision on my medical retirement so I am now 3 payments behind. I sent a letter in April to mtg com again re: the ins preiums already deducted from monthly house payment - along with copy of FEMA letter - sent to their escrow dept and also their insurance dept. and collection dept - asking them to apply the preiums to arrears. I received a generic computerized letter the end of July - stating to me that they were notified (by whom ?) my home was no longer in flood zone and therefore ins was not necessary. They are acting as if they are informing me not me notifying them! Am I not entitled to this refund whether it is applied to back payments or escrow fund or refund check? and if it can be applied towards arrears (it would take care of 1 1/2 payments) how do I go about getting them to do so?

Thank you for your time.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LindaM:
I am a Calif resident who no longer lives in a flood zone - (amazing how that changes) - I notifed (last year) my mtg com (new jersey) by phone, that per FEMA the mandatory insurance was no longer necessary eff 6/98. I am awaiting a decision on my medical retirement so I am now 3 payments behind. I sent a letter in April to mtg com again re: the ins preiums already deducted from monthly house payment - along with copy of FEMA letter - sent to their escrow dept and also their insurance dept. and collection dept - asking them to apply the preiums to arrears. I received a generic computerized letter the end of July - stating to me that they were notified (by whom ?) my home was no longer in flood zone and therefore ins was not necessary. They are acting as if they are informing me not me notifying them! Am I not entitled to this refund whether it is applied to back payments or escrow fund or refund check? and if it can be applied towards arrears (it would take care of 1 1/2 payments) how do I go about getting them to do so?

Thank you for your time.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You need to send them a certified letter so you have evidence of their receipt and keep calling them twice a week until you get your refund. Then send a separate letter to the collection dept. ( with copies of your first 2 letters) informing them of the reason that you are behind in payments and would be not so far in arrears if they had resolved the flood insurance issue when you first notified them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">