• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reimbursement for flea infestation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

msjack

I'd like to know if my landlord can be made to compensate me for (1)expenses incurred while trying to rid my apartment of a flea infestation and (2)days when I was unable to reside in my apartment during the infestation.

I do not have a pet and an expert suggested that I tracked flea eggs into my apartment via my shoe soles. When I realized I had fleas, I called apartment management several times. It took 10 days for them to respond to me and an additional week before an exterminator was brought in. In the meantime I had purchased foggers, sprays and powders and had begun treatment myself.

When the exterminator came, he said it would be 10 days after he sprayed before all the fleas would die. For health reasons I could not live there with the fleas a day longer so I stayed with my daughter for 10 days.

So, can my landlord be made to pay me for the flea treatments I purchased (when he did not respond to my calls) and the final 10 days I was unable to reside in the apartment?

Thanks,
Msjack

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by msjack:
I'd like to know if my landlord can be made to compensate me for (1)expenses incurred while trying to rid my apartment of a flea infestation and (2)days when I was unable to reside in my apartment during the infestation.

I do not have a pet and an expert suggested that I tracked flea eggs into my apartment via my shoe soles. When I realized I had fleas, I called apartment management several times. It took 10 days for them to respond to me and an additional week before an exterminator was brought in. In the meantime I had purchased foggers, sprays and powders and had begun treatment myself.

When the exterminator came, he said it would be 10 days after he sprayed before all the fleas would die. For health reasons I could not live there with the fleas a day longer so I stayed with my daughter for 10 days.

So, can my landlord be made to pay me for the flea treatments I purchased (when he did not respond to my calls) and the final 10 days I was unable to reside in the apartment?

Thanks,
Msjack
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did the previous tenants have pets is your floor covering carpeting? There are occasions where there could be flea eggs in the carpet and then hatch later. How long after you first moved in did you notice the fleas?

M

msjack

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HomeGuru:
Did the previous tenants have pets is your floor covering carpeting? There are occasions where there could be flea eggs in the carpet and then hatch later. How long after you first moved in did you notice the fleas? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HomeGuru,
Yes, I believe the previous tenants had pets. Yes, I do have wall-to-wall carpeting. The fleas appeared about a year after I moved in.
Thanks, Msjack

[This message has been edited by msjack (edited October 18, 2000).]

T

Tracey

After a year, the fleas are not from the previous tenants. Ohio law does not specifically require L to control pests, nor does it declare how long L has to respond to a request for pest control. Your only hope is to sue L for breach of the duty to maintain the premises in a fit & habitable condition, and convince a judge that L took too long to respons, & you should be entitled to a reduction in rent during the flea infestation. It's probably not worth the effort but you might try small claims.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected] - please include some facts so I know who you are!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">