• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

remove roomate from lease?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TARTAN4_1999

roomate has not paid her 1/2 of the rent and we recieved a 5 day notice of evition today.The office is holding my check dated on the 1st, but cant accept partial pay. I would like to remove her from the lease since I have a more responsible person that would like to move in. What are my options and how can I prevent my eviction??
PLEASE help. JEFF

T

Tracey

You need to go talk to the landlord. Explain that you can't afford to cover R's 1/2 of the rent, but that you have a new tenant lined up to take over as soon as L gets R out for you. Ask L to evict just R & not you. L should go for this deal: L will have to evict someone anyway, & if L lets you stay with the new person, L doesn't have to worry about advertising & showing the place.

Also, since you have a person lined up, if L doesn't follow your plan, you have a very good argument that L did not mitigate damages & could have saved advertising costs & recouped rent faster if L had done what you wanted.

Write L explaining all this & pointing out that you will make the failure to mitigate argument in court. Send the letter certified, return receipt. Talk to L face-to-face also. The letter is just so you can prove L knew of your plan & unreasonably rejected it.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">