• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Removing name from mortgage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lapishotti

North Carolina- I am currently on a mortgage with my ex-boyfriend. I have been moved out of the house for 2 years. Before moving we agreed to sell the house, but after I moved out he decided he did not want to. I don't want him to be forced to sell the house through a partition lawsuit. Is there another way to relieve me from this obligation? Can he buy me out of my portion of the mortgage? Does this require a lawyer or can this be done through the mortgage lender? Also, I am trying to rent an apartment and having this on my credit report is causing trouble. I have not paid any of the mortgage payments over the last year (through a verbal agreement between us) and the mortgage is in good standing. Is there a way to prove this to my rental company? Thanks in advance for your help.

HomeGuru

lapishotti said:
North Carolina- I am currently on a mortgage with my ex-boyfriend. I have been moved out of the house for 2 years. Before moving we agreed to sell the house, but after I moved out he decided he did not want to. I don't want him to be forced to sell the house through a partition lawsuit. Is there another way to relieve me from this obligation? Can he buy me out of my portion of the mortgage? Does this require a lawyer or can this be done through the mortgage lender?
**A: if qualifies, he can refinance the mortgage in his name only. No lawyer is needed for him to do this.

Also, I am trying to rent an apartment and having this on my credit report is causing trouble. I have not paid any of the mortgage payments over the last year (through a verbal agreement between us) and the mortgage is in good standing. Is there a way to prove this to my rental company? Thanks in advance for your help.
**A: have him write a letter confirming that he has and will continue to make the mortgage payments.

L

lapishotti

If he writes a letter stating he has and will continue to pay the payments, would it need to be notarized? Also, he refuses to refinance the mortgage, is there any other way to remove my name besides a partition lawsuit?

HomeGuru

lapishotti said:
If he writes a letter stating he has and will continue to pay the payments, would it need to be notarized?
**A: no, if the only purpose for the letter is to get a rental property.

Also, he refuses to refinance the mortgage, is there any other way to remove my name besides a partition lawsuit?
**A: yes there is; sell the property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">