• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Removing Old Lien

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lmcrosby2

My husband and I recently found out that there is a lien on our home for a child support claim that was resolved several years ago. We have been told that the only person who can remove the lien is the attorney who placed it in the first place. That attorney is no longer practicing law in California and the state bar association has been unable to locate her. How do we get the lien removed?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lmcrosby2:
My husband and I recently found out that there is a lien on our home for a child support claim that was resolved several years ago. We have been told that the only person who can remove the lien is the attorney who placed it in the first place. That attorney is no longer practicing law in California and the state bar association has been unable to locate her. How do we get the lien removed?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The child support agency or the beneficiary can verify that the account was settled and execute a Release Of Lien document. The original attorney does not have to do it. Another attorney or escrow can also do it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">