• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

RENT CONTROL IN NYC????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nicki cox

I was relocated 11 years ago from my rent controlled apt from a building that the landlord wanted to demolish to build a highrise apt building. Part of the relocation deal included a rent control apt in one of his apt buildings in another part of town.I got a written 10 year lease stating that my apt was rent controlled.When the lease expired,the DCHR ruled that my apt was rent stabilize,with 30 days to challenge this.I missed the deadline and was told the apt was now rent stabilized and that my rent was going up. Can I hire a lawyer and challenge this?

L

loudrich

NIKKI:

I live in New York City and the answer is NO

Unless you were in Jail, in a Hospital, caring for dying parents, overseas on a sabattical, or job

You might have a claim for a rent overcharge but we need more details, your old rent your new rent, any new applainces, is you new rent comperable to others in the building?

But just to forget.......nope this is a very expensive lesson for you to learn....

OH you got screwed anyway....only 10 years, hmmm you should have gotten a rent controlled apartment for LIFE....but you settled for less because you were TOO CHEAP to hire a lawyer! The truth hurts Nikki!

-------------------------------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nicki cox:
I was relocated 11 years ago from my rent controlled apt from a building that the landlord wanted to demolish to build a highrise apt building. Part of the relocation deal included a rent control apt in one of his apt buildings in another part of town.I got a written 10 year lease stating that my apt was rent controlled.When the lease expired,the DCHR ruled that my apt was rent stabilize,with 30 days to challenge this.I missed the deadline and was told the apt was now rent stabilized and that my rent was going up. Can I hire a lawyer and challenge this? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">