• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rent has bounced--landlord's fault

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

reginaj

I am really hoping someone can help me. My new landlord told me that they would hold the rent check until payday. They didn't, even though the check was postdated and cashed it anyway. It ran up $300 in bounced check fees. The landlord does not want to own up to their mistake and the bank won't reverse the charges. I don't understand how they could even CASH the check before the date it was written. Whenever I try and cash a check which is postdated, the bank won't let me. I feel totally screwed over and need some advice on what can be done.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by reginaj:
I am really hoping someone can help me. My new landlord told me that they would hold the rent check until payday. They didn't, even though the check was postdated and cashed it anyway. It ran up $300 in bounced check fees. The landlord does not want to own up to their mistake and the bank won't reverse the charges. I don't understand how they could even CASH the check before the date it was written. Whenever I try and cash a check which is postdated, the bank won't let me. I feel totally screwed over and need some advice on what can be done.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The landlord is responsible. Contact your State consumer protection office and your State Landlord Tenant office.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">