• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rent raised

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ADGIRLIEQ

I own a business and today I received a new lease from our landlord who is raising our rent $550.00 MORE per month beginning in 13 days.. Is this legal?

I sure hope not....

HELP

T

Tracey

No. A commercial month-to-month tenancy in FL may be terminated on 15 days notice. 13 is insufficient. [83.03] Raising the rent is in effect terminating the old month-to-month agreement & offering to enter into a new agreement at the new rent terms. Do you have a written lease? If it's for a specific term, L can't raise the rent unless the lease allows it. It may also state that L has to give a certain amount of notice before raising the rent. This is why commercial tenants should always have leases for 1 or more years.

Pay your Aug rent at the old rate, but beware -- L can retaliate for you standing on your statutory rights to 15 days notice by terminating the lease on 15 days notice. This will buy you time until 8/15 to move your business, but you can't keep L from charging more as of 9/1.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">