• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rental Discrimination From City of Ivins, Utah (Possible)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vlender

I need a question answered:

My wife and I recently sold our home that we have lived in for 4 years. We are building a new home but had to lease for 6 months waiting for the new home to be built.

When we went to have or Electrical, Water, etc turned on at the city, they told us we had to pay a $250.00 deposit because we were renting. We had 4 years of perfect payment history with the city but we were told "Because you are a renter you must pay the deposit"

Is this legal? Can the city do this? This appears to be a form of renter discrimination.

Can anyone answer the question?

Thanks

nextwife

Usually, electric is handled by a seperate entity than water is. I do not specifically know your area.

AS to water charges, if an OWNER who is living in a property fails to pay water (and/or sewer charges), the city has further simple collection recourse: They may attach unpaid water (and sewer) charges to the property tax bill at the end of the tax year and the balance will end up being paid with the property taxes (if the owner does not want a tax arrearage and potential tax foreclosure).

A tenant faces NO such problem and is often unconcerned about unpaid water they may be responsible for paying. The balance does not generally follow the tenant, rather, it follows the real estate, leaving an unpaid balance for the OWNER to pay.

Therefore, it seems logical to treat a (especially short term) tenant differently as to charges that could accrue to the real estate.

V

vlender

Thanks for the reply

Your response made sense. However, I rented a property in Phoenix AZ and when I moved I failed to pay one month of payment to the city for the electrical. I discovered 6 months later that we failed to do this when I received a collection letter requesting the payment. We were the tenants and still liable for the amount due. The bill followed the tenant and not the property.

I understand that with some services this makes sense, however when you apply at the city for services, it is an agreement between you and the city not the property and the city. SS numbers, income verifications etc are required for applicants.

I seams they should base their decision for deposits off of payment history, credit reports etc. instead of the simple fact that you are Renting vs. Buying.

Thanks for all your help. This is the first time to use this service and I think it is awesome!

Thanks

:rolleyes:

V

vlender

I forgot to tell you this is on electrical not water. however payment for both is made at the city under the same contract.

divgradcurl

You said yourself that you failed to pay your utilities before, and it went to collections -- that may very well be the reason they are asking for the deposit.

Did you ask the utilities why they want a deposit? Also, the fact that the utility payments "followed the renter" in AZ does not mean that the payments don't attach to the property in UT.

dequeendistress

Many utility companies have adopted policies in regards to renters...ie larger deposits and the like. You have the right to file a grievance against the company but I don't think it is an "illegal" practice.

JETX

"Is this legal?"
*** Yes.

"Can the city do this?"
*** Yes.

"This appears to be a form of renter discrimination."
*** Sorry, but there is no such thing as 'renter discrimination'. An owner can make any rules that they want as long as they are not in violation of PROTECTED discrimination (housing, employment, etc.). 'Renting' and 'no deposit' are NOT protected 'rights'.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">