• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rental Unit - Overnight Guests

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jgolden

I have a rental unit in Massachusetts. It consists of 4 rooms on the second floor of an owner-occupied home. I am currently renting to a divorced father who takes care of his children on the weekends. Our tenant-at-will agreement specifically states "occupancy by no more than one adult and 2 children."
He recently had his girlfriend and 2 other children stay overnight, in addition to his own 2 children. 6 people in all. I have discussed this with him stating my concern that it is a dangerous situation. He assured me that it would not happen again.
What are my rights in this situation? I know I can't prohibit overnight guests, nor do I want to. Do I have a right to limit to 3 the number of people who stay overnight in the apartment, due to our agreement and the size of the apartment? Do I have to reiterate this in writing?

L

loudrich

I would be nice and say if you intend for this to happen on a regular basis you should find a new place to live.

Remember it is VERY HARD for single people with kids to find other single people who will accept kids....BUT

You have a right to peace and quiet, in your own home....

And if its only on weekends, well as long as you dont have to work, maybe you should get out of the house, take trips go see our great country... stay overnight (with the wife or girlfriend)in a Bed and Breakfast, and maybe let their romance bloom and they will want to leave and find a place just for themselves.

---------------------------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jgolden:
I have a rental unit in Massachusetts. It consists of 4 rooms on the second floor of an owner-occupied home. I am currently renting to a divorced father who takes care of his children on the weekends. Our tenant-at-will agreement specifically states "occupancy by no more than one adult and 2 children."
He recently had his girlfriend and 2 other children stay overnight, in addition to his own 2 children. 6 people in all. I have discussed this with him stating my concern that it is a dangerous situation. He assured me that it would not happen again.
What are my rights in this situation? I know I can't prohibit overnight guests, nor do I want to. Do I have a right to limit to 3 the number of people who stay overnight in the apartment, due to our agreement and the size of the apartment? Do I have to reiterate this in writing?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">