• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Renter having problems with the electric company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

My husband & I are new tenants and recently called to have the electric turned on in our name. The electric company told my husband that we had to go to their office (which is over 30 mins away) to show proof of I.D. during extremely restricted hours...8 - 9:30 am & 2 - 3:30 pm. This was not possible for us since we both work full time. My husband tried for 3 days to call them to let them know we couldnt be there and was on hold for 45 mins each time he tried to call so needless to say he never got through. When I got home from work today my electricity had been shut off. I have 3 small children with no where to sleep tonight. I was able to speak to someone today who told me they would sent an affadavit which I could have notorized and mail back to them. Which would take at least 3 days. My real problem is that the electric company does NOT require proof of I.D. from ALL new customers, and now I am without electricity because i couldnt get to their office during their inconvenient business hours. What can I do?
Help me pleaseeeeee

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by [email protected]:
My husband & I are new tenants and recently called to have the electric turned on in our name. The electric company told my husband that we had to go to their office (which is over 30 mins away) to show proof of I.D. during extremely restricted hours...8 - 9:30 am & 2 - 3:30 pm. This was not possible for us since we both work full time. My husband tried for 3 days to call them to let them know we couldnt be there and was on hold for 45 mins each time he tried to call so needless to say he never got through. When I got home from work today my electricity had been shut off. I have 3 small children with no where to sleep tonight. I was able to speak to someone today who told me they would sent an affadavit which I could have notorized and mail back to them. Which would take at least 3 days. My real problem is that the electric company does NOT require proof of I.D. from ALL new customers, and now I am without electricity because i couldnt get to their office during their inconvenient business hours. What can I do?
Help me pleaseeeeee
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They call the shots since they are the only game in town.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">