• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Renting to a disabled family member

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

andreab

I live in California and I’m trying to find an affordable housing solution for my brother who is disabled. If I can make it work, I’d like to buy a rental property and rent it to him. His only income is a monthly SSI stipend of $800. As his “representative payee”, I receive his SSI payments and pay his bills. In light of all this (he’s my brother—I receive his checks—I pay his bills), I’m wondering if I can legally rent to him and write off a large portion of the rental income as a loss since my expenses on the property would be at least $1,200 per month. Has anyone had experience with this or with the laws governing these types of issues? Thanks.

divgradcurl

andreab said:
I live in California and I’m trying to find an affordable housing solution for my brother who is disabled. If I can make it work, I’d like to buy a rental property and rent it to him. His only income is a monthly SSI stipend of $800. As his “representative payee”, I receive his SSI payments and pay his bills. In light of all this (he’s my brother—I receive his checks—I pay his bills), I’m wondering if I can legally rent to him and write off a large portion of the rental income as a loss since my expenses on the property would be at least $1,200 per month. Has anyone had experience with this or with the laws governing these types of issues? Thanks.
Repost on the tax board.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">