• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Renting to own.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jennyo35

What is the name of your state? Rhode Island

My grandfather died three years ago. He had given his home to my mother previously and she told him that she would be giving the house to me. She infact agreed to sell the house to me (amount was never determined). At the time we moved in, the house was very outdated and water damaged. We have spent a tremendous amount of time and money cleaning, renovating, etc. Including new windows, electric work, etc. I have been paying her a total of $500 per month rent. Our agreement was that until she went to the lawyer and actually transfered the house into my name that she would be responsible for the taxes. There has always been an excuse why she does not want to get this done. She did not want me to get a mortgage, just agree to pay her a set amount monthly payable within 15 years.

She has been telling other members of my family that saving money for a new septic and siding (can't be sold in my state without these upgrades) and then selling the house. When we moved in there was an appraisal done and the house was valued at about $150,000. She could probably get double that now or perhaps more.

Do I have any legal recourse at all? I suspect that she may be just waiting for the right time to "evict" me?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">