• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Renting rooms of a house I am living in and buying?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Pinealice

What should I know about sharing my home with fellow students? I plan to offer personal local telephone lines, cable hook-up, and probably furniture.Where could I find leases applicable to the situation, and what is the shortest amount of time I can legally make the lease for? Is it ok to require a semester in advance?

Thanks,

Pinealice

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pinealice:
What should I know about sharing my home with fellow students? I plan to offer personal local telephone lines, cable hook-up, and probably furniture.Where could I find leases applicable to the situation, and what is the shortest amount of time I can legally make the lease for? Is it ok to require a semester in advance?

Thanks,

Pinealice
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you are going to become a landlord, you need to read and understand the L/T code applicable to your State. The shortest time you can make the lease for is a day and you can collect a full semester of rent in advance but the students do not have to agree to pay it since the norm is payment of rent monthly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">