• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

requirements to manage property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wassam

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I know that Ohio law states that property managers must have a real estate license. I have a friend that recently asked me if I would help him out by collecting rent for him, and handling leases. I'd like to help him out, but don't want to deal with getting a license just to manage one property. Is there a way I can do that? I'm thinking about the people that work at my apartment complex that can collect the rent. I'm sure they don't all have a license. So there must be some way, right? If I show people the house, lease, etc. But my friend is the one actually physically signing the lease, and if I just deliver the checks to him, would I technically be a property manager or just an "employee"

wassam

OK, so no one has replied but I found the Ohio law in greater detail, and found that basically it's a big fat "NO" as far as legality is concerned. However, the law states that someone receiving payment for .... needs a brokers license. If I decide to help him out for free, I guess that would mean i'm in the clear?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">