• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Responsibility of SubLet tenants for Damages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bweise

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

I had an apartment from August 2005 to July 2007. Beginning in December of 2006 I sublet my single apartment to another person. After the sublet took effect, the new tenant housed a dog there (against the lease agreement) as well as let the electricity be turned off causing the refrigerator to be unusable. The tenant also left the apartment filled with debris at the end of the lease resulting in hundreds of dollars of cleanup fines. The rental agency is now charging me close to 1,500 dollars to repay them for damages incurred. I am under the belief that I (as the original signer of the lease) am responsible to pay the agency back for the damages but can take the person who sublet from me to small claims for the damages. Am I correct in believing that and if so what documentation etc would be needed to prove the tenant caused and is responsible for the fines created from his/her negligence? Thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

moburkes

Yes you are correct, and you would need whatever documentation that you can get a hold of, in order to prove that your tenant caused this damage. Proof of your legal sublease would also be a good idea. Plus, why did you return their security deposit, if they caused so much damage?

bweise

Thank for your reply. To answer your question, I did not return their security deposit. The amount I listed is the total amount minus the amount of the deposit.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

I had an apartment from August 2005 to July 2007. Beginning in December of 2006 I sublet my single apartment to another person. After the sublet took effect, the new tenant housed a dog there (against the lease agreement) as well as let the electricity be turned off causing the refrigerator to be unusable. The tenant also left the apartment filled with debris at the end of the lease resulting in hundreds of dollars of cleanup fines. The rental agency is now charging me close to 1,500 dollars to repay them for damages incurred. I am under the belief that I (as the original signer of the lease) am responsible to pay the agency back for the damages but can take the person who sublet from me to small claims for the damages. Am I correct in believing that and if so what documentation etc would be needed to prove the tenant caused and is responsible for the fines created from his/her negligence? Thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

**A: you posted in the incorrect forum.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">