• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Responsible for debt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FedupinAl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

I am the primary and my ex wife is the secondary on a morgage on a house that we lived in before we got divorced. Before we divorced she didnt pay the payment on the house for almost a year. I am now owner financing house and the tenants want to assume the loan and geet it in their name. My question is, How much, if any, of this debt is my ex liable for? I have paid down at least half and cant get the loan assumption due to the debt.

OHRoadwarrior

It does not appear she is liable for any of it, if the court did not order it. The only thing binding her to it, would be her co-signing the mortgage and being on the title. If you are making mortgage payments, her credit is fine by doing nothing. If she is on the deed, she will own half of the equity.

justalayman

she would be foolish to sign a deed until such time her liability for the mortgage was removed.

The deed and the refi all take place at the same time at closing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">