• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Responsible for shampooing the carpet?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hey_hon

At 3:00 this past Saturday afternoon, on the day I was moving-as I was moving, my Land lord stopped by and asked me if I intended to shampoo the carpet. This being the absolute 1st he said anything about this, I told him I was going to vacuum and sweep up and asked if this wasn't something he normally did upon the arrival of a new tennant (like putting down a fresh coat of paint, etc.) He said "No, not really." Yet, "his guy" was already in the building shampooing the carpets in 2 other apartments. He then told me he would have to deduct the cost of shampooing the carpets from my security deposit. Is this legal? I have left that apartment in better condition then when I moved in and have the pictures to prove it.
(I live in Baltimore, Maryland)

T

Tracey

If it's been a year or more since the carpets were last shampooed, then their dirt is considered normal wear & tear for which L cannot charge you. It's simply a cost of doing business. This assumes you've not left behind any stains. Write L (certified, return receipt), & inform L that yearly shampooing is normal wear & tear under MD state law, & L can't charge you for shampooing costs. Then say that if L charges you for shampooing, you'll sue L under MD Code Title 8-203 for wrongfully withholding the security deosit & get triple the withheld amount + costs + attorney fees as a judgment. L has until 30 days after you move out to mail the list of damages, & 45 days to mail the refund.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">