• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retroactively Cancel Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

babybuggs

What is the name of your state? Georgia
I have not terminated the contract, but will do so tonight in writing. I thought that the contract expired after 60 days(starting Oct 21). The agent did not secure a renter during that time period. I gave her a strong lead which had seen the condo and wanted to complete a rental application. She called him 4 days later and he'd rented elswhere. The only leads she secured always seemed to be no-shows. I waited the sixty days and when she had not returned my call after 2 wks., I posted adds in the condo bldg and on several websites. I received more leads and processed them with hopes of obtaining a renter. I did rent the unit on Feb 1 after reducing the rent. I paid the cost of the background check and secured the leasing agreement. She called several weeks later because we had our lockbox removed. She said I owed her procurement fees. When I reviewed the contract again, there was no expiration date. It stated after 60 days I could cancel with a 30 day notice effective on the last of a month. I never received a copy with the broker/agent signature nor any expiration date.

Last edited:

PghREA

babybuggs said:
What is the name of your state? Georgia
I have not terminated the contract, but will do so tonight in writing. I thought that the contract expired after 60 days(starting Oct 21). The agent did not secure a renter during that time period. I gave her a strong lead which had seen the condo and wanted to complete a rental application. She called him 4 days later and he'd rented elswhere. The only leads she secured always seemed to be no-shows. I waited the sixty days and when she had not returned my call after 2 wks., I posted adds in the condo bldg and on several websites. I received more leads and processed them with hopes of obtaining a renter. I did rent the unit on Feb 1 after reducing the rent. I paid the cost of the background check and secured the leasing agreement. She called several weeks later because we had our lockbox removed. She said I owed her procurement fees. When I reviewed the contract again, there was no expiration date. It stated after 60 days I could cancel with a 30 day notice effective on the last of a month. I never received a copy with the broker/agent signature nor any expiration date.
Most contracts are for a year. You opted to change that time frame to 60days. So if order to cancel you would need to write a certified return receipt
letter canceling the contract with a 30 day notice effective on the last day of the month. You didn't do this, so the contract is still in effect.

It is important to read and understand what you are signing.

HomeGuru

there is more to this story and my take is the management company contract should be terminated for cause.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">