• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Right To Claim Property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

starizon

I live in AZ. I need to know what my options are to claim property. I have been living in a home for 5 years and paying the property taxes. The owner is deceased. I started living in the property because I dated her son after she passed away. The children of the owner do not want the property. How can I claim it as mine?

HomeGuru

Either get the probate court approval or if the children are listed on the original deed as joint tenants, have them quit claim the property to you.
A few questions: do you have homeowner's insurance, did you review a title report and is there a mortgage?

S

starizon

I do not have homeowners insurance. And the children are not on the deed. I have not reviewed the title. There is no mortgage, the property is clear. Please advice....

HomeGuru

Then the property is subject to probate action.
Did you know that if the home burns down, you have o insurance to rebuild? And you can't get insurance because you are not the legal property owner.
You need to consult an attorney right away.

5geckos

I completely agree... get legal council. Although, I wonder if you could get renter's insurance instead while you are waiting for probate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">