• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Right of Way ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

leafguy

What is the name of your state? New York
We own property that has a deeded Right of Way for a dirt road for " Ingress and Egress to lands owned by ...." It is not a public road, it is for access to farm land. The problem is, the person who has legal use of the right of way is giving permisssion to others (the public). They are parking on my land and claiming they have permission. I have contacted local law enforcement and they aggree that it's my land and I have the right to ask people to leave.
My question is can I have this Right of way recinded, nullified etc..?
The person with the land using the right of way has other access to his lands. It not like I propose land locking anybody. Thanks

JETX

I doubt that you could easily get the easment revoked. However, you might consider posting 'no trespassing' signs and have a few vehicles towed off or people arrested. Or, you could fence or chain your property to minimize further trespassing.

L

leafguy

More to the story...

I have done the No Trespassing signs, they rip them down or run them over. I have called the police so many times they know my me, my wife, and my kids, by our first names. I have tried to be nice about it but, it just gets worse. I have to pick up the trash, before I can mow my lawn, I have had my house shot at, I may post a pic of the bullet hole for the non-believers. My wife has been called names I can't repeat here, and my kids age 5 and 8 have had a beer bottle thrown at them. My wife and I are so sick of it that we have talked about selling the house. We don't want to, but this damn ROW if making us nuts. This year we decided no more mister nice guy. We are gonna start towing vehicles and arresting people. The person with the legal use of the ROW says He doesn't understand what all the fuss is about. Can I put up a gate accross the road to restrict access. Give the legal Row user a key for his use only? Do I need his permission for put up a gate?
It is my land, What legal rights do I have to solve this problem?
Buy the way I keep replacing the No Trespassing signs, Every time the hardware store guy sells me more he just laughs.
I'm not laughing.

JETX

It seems obvious that you have tried to be civil about this without success.... maybe it is time to take civil action. An attorney will need to review all the issues (easement, deeds, etc.) and be able to advise your next actions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">