• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Right of way

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

frumupabv

What is the name of your state? Illinois.

My aunt had bought land that was locked and had gained access to her property through a neighbors property since 1986. They had no contract for easement access, it was just a given. My aunt died and my father bought the property. My father is afraid that the neighbor will close off the access to his property. He did obtain a legal right of way from another neighbor, but it would cost a lot of money to put in the road. My question is: If he does close it off does my Dad have any legal rights to the right of way? Would the grandfather clause work here?

Thanks for any help.
frumupabv

HomeGuru

frumupabv said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois.

My aunt had bought land that was locked and had gained access to her property through a neighbors property since 1986. They had no contract for easement access, it was just a given. My aunt died and my father bought the property. My father is afraid that the neighbor will close off the access to his property. He did obtain a legal right of way from another neighbor, but it would cost a lot of money to put in the road. My question is: If he does close it off does my Dad have any legal rights to the right of way? Would the grandfather clause work here?

Thanks for any help.
frumupabv
**A: there may be a possible claim of a prescriptive easement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">